Linnea is the New Pink

Friday, September 29, 2006

Ignorance is Bliss?

Ok, so today's blog is pretty serious and it starts with a little grammar lesson. So I'm in a grammars course right now in school, and it is, in general, boring. However, we did learn about morphemes. These are fascinating little suckers that make up words. Morphemes are the bases (roots) and affixes that make up words. Take for example the word "words". This has two morphemes, 'word' and 's'. 'Word' is obviously the base, and 's' is the suffix meaning more than one.
So, the point: 'Ignore' is the base of the word "Ignorance". Ever thought of that before? Neither had I. Until I had the following exchange with a friend of mine. (I won't say names, but this conversation took me so much by surprise and filled me with such an unexpected confusion, that I didn't say what I should have said then and now it would be out of place to start an argument over water under the bridge. If the aforementioned friend recognizes this as about them, please don't be angry, come talk to me, but I need to get this out of me before I explode!!)

We were talking about world war two and all the deaths that resulted, I don't recall why, I think because she had just taken a history test, and I asked her if she had seen Schindler's List (because I had just watched it a few weeks previous, thinking about all the lives Oscar Schindler saved).
Friend:No, I haven't and I won't.
Me: Why not?
Friend: Because I don't watch movies or read books about the Holocaust.
Me: Why not?
Friend: Because when I learned about in it in the 7th grade, it gave me nightmares.
Me: But it's important...
Friend: Well, I know the story, but I just don't like to watch movies about it.

So that was it, I let it go because I had never thought of that before. OK, I get maybe not liking to watch movies that are so violent or about serious subjects, but not reading about the Holocaust? How does one get away with that in a Liberal Arts College?
What I should have done was ask her if she had read Anne Frank? Or Primo Levi? Or Elie Wiesel? Or Number the Stars? Or Viktor Frankl? Or about movies, if she had seen the Pianist?

If you ignore something like the Holocaust, you aren't just cheating yourself, as if you refused to read Shakespeare, but you are letting the voices of at least 6 million people fall silent. It is almost as bad as Holocaust deniers. How could you deny that what happened was important or worth learning more about, even if it's hard?
Yes, it is not a pretty or satisfying subject to read about, but there is wisdom in it. There is hope. There is the future. There is not falling victim to repeating history. It's important. It's important to not give in to ignorance... to not ignore something as horrible as the Holocaust.
If you haven't read the books or authors above, I recommend you do. There are of course bunches more on the subject, those were the ones that leapt immediately to mind, the ones I had read and found the most memorable. I also suggest people visit the Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington DC or the others around the nation ( I believe there Holocaust Museums in Houston, TX, St. Petersburg, FA, Farmington Hills, MI just to name a few). I feel very strongly about this as you can tell. I know this post may make people uspet, but this is just what is going through my mind. It may not be a big deal that my friend just doesn't want to watch Schindler's List and I know, that's fine, but this is my blog and this is what I needed to say for me and hopefully for her as well.

In this instance, I do not shame my friend. I shame myself for not speaking my mind at the time; what a coward I am to say this online instead of to my friend.
For shame, Linnea, for shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home